The Riders Alliance is a membership organization of subway and bus riders working toward a more just and inclusive New York City by fighting for reliable, affordable public transit for all New Yorkers. We organize subway and bus riders to build grassroots power across racial, economic and geographic lines: holding our elected officials accountable, engaging the public, and taking direct action to guarantee that riders have a powerful voice in the decisions that affect us.
We are looking for a dynamic, experienced Campaign Manager to oversee our “Fix the Subways” campaign. The Campaign Manager will play a key role in the fight to win quality, reliable subway service for the six million New Yorkers who rely on the subway every day.
The Campaign Manager, working under the supervision of the Deputy Director, is in charge of creating, developing and managing community organizing campaigns for better transit service. Campaign Managers are expected to execute high-level tasks, including driving development of campaign strategy and developing organizational strategy, in addition to developing leaders, conceiving and executing direct actions and events, holding meetings with elected and appointed officials, and managing press relationships with a high degree of skill and minimal supervision. Campaign Managers also provide support to junior colleagues by training and developing colleagues’ skills.
The Campaign Manager is responsible for:
- Leading all aspects of his/her campaigns, including:
- Developing political strategy
- Building membership and grass-roots community leadership for the organization
- Working with media outlets and reporters in order to earn coverage of campaign events
- Building and maintaining relationships with elected officials, city and state agency staff, and other constituencies to win improvements in service
- Supervising staff who are assigned to Campaign Manager supervision.
- Four or more years of experience in a community organizing or a political/governmental role.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- Ability to fluently speak language(s) other than English.
- Familiarity with communities and community politics throughout New York City.
How to Apply:
- Send resume and one-page cover letter to John Raskin, Executive Director, at john [@] ridersny.org.
- Applications will be considered on a rolling basis; early applications are encouraged.
- The Riders Alliance is an equal opportunity employer, and we strongly encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds to apply for the position.
The Canvasser/Phone Banker, working under the active supervision of the Deputy Director and the Canvass Director, is responsible for engaging with community members and cultivating relationships with potential volunteers through surveys, signed petitions, and phone calls. The Canvasser/Phone Banker collects survey data for various campaigns and calls lists of community members to invite them to Riders Alliance events.
The Phone Banker/Canvasser will:
- Engage community members in transit campaigns in targeted communities in person and on the phone;
- Build membership and grass-roots community participation for the organization;
- Alert community members to upcoming events through calls and cultivate their interest and participation;
- Record contacts made, contact results, and information collected in an organized manner;
- Ensure accuracy and usability of data and information collected.
- Previous experience with canvassing, phone banking, or community organizing, or equivalent educational experience.
- Preferred: ability to fluently speak language(s) other than English.
- Preferred: familiarity with communities and community politics in New York City.
Pay is hourly and compensation for travel is included. Scheduling and hours are flexible.
Send your resume, a brief description of yourself and your previous experience, and your schedule availability to Kristin Wright, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. The Riders Alliance is an equal opportunity employer, and we strongly encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds to apply for the position.